Welcome to Harwell WI.
We meet on the second Wednesday of every month (except August) at 7.30 pm in the Cherry Hall at Harwell Village Hall, High Street, Harwell OX11 0EX. Come along to the next meeting, and you can be sure of a warm welcome.
The WI is here to inspire you. The WI is all about inspiring women. It’s a rich source of experiences, knowledge and skills passed down through generations and updated every day. We play a unique role in village life.
The WI is everything you want it to be. Women of all ages are offered opportunities. For some women it’s to make new friends in the village, for others it’s to catch up with existing friends, to learn, to widen their horizons and take part in issues which matter to us and the community.
The WI is what you make of it. We offer women the chance to join and be involved in the way that suits them. It’s all there for members to take part in as little or as much as they like.
Our main focus is on monthly meetings, but you will see us involved in many varied village events including a WI float at the Harwell Feast each year. WI cakes from those members who bake are requested for village events.
There has been a thriving WI in Harwell since 1921 and it is as relevant today as it was when it was launched. We currently have 66 members of all ages and backgrounds.
Membership costs £42.00 annually.
For that you get:
- Membership of Harwell WI with a year’s programme of events bursting with ideas including many trips, local and beyond
- Access to Oxfordshire and National Federation activities
- Belonging to the largest women’s voluntary organisation in the UK
- The opportunity to learn, develop and pass on new skills as well as making friends and having fun
- Supporting the local community
- Eight issues a year of the WI membership magazine WI Life
- Ten issues of News and Views, the WI magazine for Oxfordshire with more trips and activities
- Having your voice heard: making a real impact on local, national and international issues
- Each year resolutions on national issues are discussed and voted on in every WI in the country. The resolutions are usually presented to the Government, so the WI is a force to be taken seriously
- Social groups within Harwell WI which include weekly Coffee at the Hart of Harwell, weekly Knit and Natter at the Hart and a new monthly Walking group
We are fortunate to be close to Denman in nearby Marcham which offers a range of courses at the WI Cookery School, WI Craft School and also Lifestyle courses including historical topics. Our members frequently attend courses there and enjoy the variety of events at Denman,